Friday, August 8, 2008

Ella McKinnon to Annie Carlisle June 5, 1907






Mrs. Annie Carlisle
Buchanan
Mich

Mapleton Minn
June 5 1907
My dear Cousin
As Belle was writing to Tamerson I thought I would write a few line and put in with hers. I do not know who wrote last but was thinking I did so have been neglecting to write but lately I thought I would soon but I have been so busy and would be so tired I would not feel like doing so. the two oldest girls have been away all winter & the others in school. that is ended now & all at home but Myrtle she will not be home all summer

page 2

I think she don’t intend to at least unless she cannot stand the work she is at.
We have had a very late backward spring the grass has not been so the cattle could get much until now I think they get enough now. I have not been out in the fields this spring yet I generally go before this time but I have been so tired when it came Sunday that I did not feels as if I could walk and any other day I did not have time. we have built a horse barn this spring beside our other work and the men are now at work for the small calves so you see it goes all the time on a farm.

page 3

It was so cold _all not stormy but frosty & the ground kept so cold I did not get my garden in very early so I have not had anything out of it yet it grows so slow since it came up. It is cold tonight for June I should not be surprised if there was a little frost again I hope not we have potatoes & beans up in the garden so if it freeze they might get nipped our potatoes did once a few of them but they have come up all right again & are growing fast.

page 4

I have 26 little turkeys but only 15 little chickens as yet but I have 12 hens setting on hens eggs one on goose eggs + an old turkey on 19 turkey eggs you had better come & see me Thanksgiving and you can have a piece of Turkey
I am not all through with my house cleaning yet because I could not do it alone so I had to wait for some one to help me and we have just got our washing & ironing done for this week so I will try & do some cleaning now & finish next week.
Well I cannot think of any more this time. only give my love to Auntie and tell her I will try and write to her soon

top of page 3, upside down

Love to yourself and write soon
From your loving Cousin Ella

(in ink and a different hand)
ans June 13.

Myrtle and Belle were the two oldest daughters. I wish Ella said where they'd been or what jobs they'd had. I know that Belle did teach school at least for awhile. I have not found either girl on the 1910 census yet. Eldest son Ray was living in Mapleton, MN in 1910.

I have not tracked down John Albion McKinnon in the 1910 census as yet either. In looking for him in various records I may have tracked down some of his descendants with the last name Bjorkley and hope they find these letters. I found a seven year old email address for one of them and hope it is still good.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


McKinnon, Ella Hall (Mapleton, Minnesota) to “My dear Cousin” [Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 5 June 1907. Digital Images 1-4. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1907, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: