Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Libbie Warner Camfield, 18 November 1897

Batavia, Nov 18. 1897

Dear Ones All:-

We received Mabel's letter the next night after Grandparents left and was glad to hear that they arrived all right and we hope they are now enjoying themselves. Everything is going all right here so they need not hurry. I am sure Mabel, I should like to come and see you as well as you would like to have me and am equally anxious to get accquainted with my mother-in-law (and the rest too) as she is with me.

Tell Grandmother that Elder Culp is dead, he died last week I guess they sent a dispatch to Noble but didn't say what the cause was but Meno Good and his wife when out there and when they

page 2

return the particualrs will be known I suppose, he was intending to hold meetings in Ohio commencing Tuesday and the next Saturday he lay a corpse, and his wife is failing also. We sold the chickens the next day after you left and got $3.67 for them and it now awaits your return there was only sixteen roosters that is all we sold, no old hens or pullets. Ma and Minnie were here yesterday that was the first time I have seen Ma since she came from Ind. Minnie gave us an invitation to eat our Thanksgiving dinner with them and I guess we will. Fred is going to bring the things from the garden in to day. We had a hard frost last night.

Haven't time to write more, so Goodbye
Libbie

Let us hear from you soon.


I was quite excited when I read this letter because Sarah so loved to travel and visit but almost never got the chance.

I have no information on Elder Culp. He may be the John W Culp b abt 1852 shown on the 1880 census in Coldwater, Branch, MI with wife Josephine and children, Minnie and Charlie. Menno and Susan Good are listed on the 1900 census in Noble, Branch, MI so they must have been neighbors before the move to Batavia.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Elizabeth Warner (Batavia, MI) to “Dear Aunt Anna”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 18 November 1897 Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1897,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: