Friday, October 16, 2009

Francis Ashley Carlisle, Apr 12, 1907



Chicago Ill
April 12 07

Dear Ones at Home.

Even though today is the 13th I will venture to write you a few lines just to let you know that though snowed + frozen in I am still alive.

We are just over first real blizzard of the year and tonight it is as clear + cold as in February.

I am still plugging away in the shop and like it very well. I have just built + sent out a fine steam pile driver for the road. At the test it drove a 32 ft. pile out of sight in blue clay in 2 1/2 minutes. The hammer runs by steam + weighs 5 tons striking 72 blows per minute. The chief of the department is much pleased with it. On the first of the month I got a raise in wages so now I get 37 cts per hour and 55 1/2 cts overtime. Please receipt.

My church work is doing fine

page 2

to the great astonishment of the old church. I now have 130 scholars enrolled in the Sunday School and average from 40 to 60 in the Sunday morning services. We has a great time easter morning with a packed house of over 200 people. All were happy.

Mamie is gone a week to her mothers in crown point Ind. It is only 30 mile from here. So I am keeping batchelors hall. Just as bad as ever.

We are planning if agreeable to you folks to come over the 4th of July + stay over Fathers birthday. It has been more than a year since I was home.

Dan will find enclosed an order for $30 paying up his loan in full with the exception of $2.75 interest which if he can wait another month will be much more convenient for me to pay him.

Our Love to all

Frank


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Francis Ashley (Chicago, IL) to “Dear Ones at Home”
[Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 12 April 1907. Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1907,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: