Saturday, November 14, 2009

Weekly Rewind

Weekly Reading

I wrote yesterday that the COG forced me to learn about genetic genealogy. Science was never my best subject but that's OK because the brilliant, Dr. Blaine Bettinger continues to teach me. Check out Everyone Has Two Family Trees - A Genealogical Tree and a Genetic Tree at The Genetic Genealogist. - And while you are there congratulate Blaine on passing the Bar Exam!

Greta had A Great Genealogy Week at Greta's Genealogy Bog. I love it when one blogger makes a connection through another!

I have been following Jasia's search at Creative Gene to discover how Chester Lipa fits into her tree. She shares how she made the connection with a little help from her blogging buddies with Honoring A Very Special Veteran.

Donna Pointkouski at What's Past is Prologue directed us to a site that will Say It in Polish. Hearing how your surnames are pronounced may help you figure out new creative spellings to search for. I used it to hear what some of my German surnames might sound like and there were a couple of surprises for me.

David Parmer did an amazing amount of work on Stories of Dumpling Run at Orlando, West Virginia. From the geography of the area and how it got it's name he then introduces you to the residents that lived there.

"Please Pardon Momma from Jail"
at Family History Blog was very interesting to read. Today we have foster care, just over a century ago kids were sometimes left to fend for themselves.

Randy Seaver's Treasure Chest Thursday - The Spoon Holder at Genea-Musings was very interesting. Sir Isaac Newton + Belt Buckles + Spoons = more research for Randy to do.

Another interesting Treasure Chest Thursday post was The Mystery Chest at Nutfield Genealogy.

Ernie Magheim had great back to back posts with The Dust Bowl Days and My Visit to A Concentration Camp at Ernie's Journeys.

I admit to being very unorganized in my research. Caroline Pointer, on the other hand, has a very detailed plan to discover the details of a family story. At Family Stories she offers us a Road Map of all the steps she plans to take on this very ambitious project. I look forward to following her progress.

John D Reid continually finds and shares great links at Anglo-Celtic Connections. This week's great find for me was his post Historical Canada Gazette searchable online.

Brian at Zalewski Family Genealogy found a unique way to use a blog format to present Everything I Know About Frank Zalewski.

What to try something new? Earline Hines Brandt introduces Viviti at Ancestral Notes.


Carnivals and Roundups

In reading Randy Seaver's Best of the Genea-Blogs at Genea-Musings I realized that even though I susbscribe to Lineage Keeper, I had missed a great piece by Lee Drew - Navigator, Undertaker, Carpenter, Survivor.

Also check out John Newmark's Weekly Picks at TransylvanianDutch.

Submissions are due by tommorrow for both the Carnival of Genealogy: "What the Carnival of Genealogy has meant to you." and the Carnival of Central and Eastern Genealogy: "Tips, Tricks, Websites,.... for researching Central and Eastern European Genealogy."

My Week

I did a lot of reading this week. Besides trying to keep up with my feed reader I had a nice trip down memory lane rereading some of the past editions of the COG. I also spent about an hour a day working on my blog index. With just over 130 posts indexed and about 600 to go I'll be at this for a long time yet!

1 comment:

Greta Koehl said...

Thank you for the mention, Apple! And your mention of indexing reminds me that I have to do some more of that....