Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hannah Glover Carlisle, 7 Nov 1862

Columbus Nov 7 / 62 (084)

My Dear Family

I have just read Mary
letter and learned that all we had is
gone truly it is sad news to think we have
no home and all that we had to
make home pleasant gone I am very
thankfull your lives were all
saved no limbs broke all must look
dark I feel so sorry that all the
silver is gone and beding was the
Bureau burned up and all that was
in it? are the coverlids gone to
well never mind we must bear it
the best we can under the circom-
stances try + make the best of it
the pay master has not come yet
and dont know when he will
come I cannot write I cannot
tell how I feel Yours Truly

H L Carlisle

page 2 ( 085)

PS when you direct yours do it in this way

Mrs H L Carlisle
Post Hospital
Columbus
KY


I have written previously about the Buchanan Fire of 1862.

The news must have been quite a shock for Hannah. The bureau had just been moved to the buttery and was lost. I believe it contained all of the family valuables.

For more see: Carlisle Family Letters



Carlisle, Hannah Glover. (Columbus, KY) to “My Dear Family”
[Daniel Carlisle and children]. Letter. 7 November 1862. Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Charlotte Grabowski, Orlando, Florida. 2012.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1862,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: