Sunday, May 25, 2008

Correct Source Citation?

One of the treasures included in the family letters that I've been going through is a handwritten genealogy of my Graham line. I had been stuck on this line for some time. In some cases I had made educated guesses that are confirmed and there are also several family members recorded that I had no idea about. I'm anxious to enter all of the information into FTM but I'm unsure how to record the source.

The genealogy was included with a letter that was in this envelope:
It is postmarked Windsor, Ontario, Mar 27, 1931, 9:10 PM. Addressed to Mrs. D. M. Carlisle, 803 Main St., Buchanan, Michigan. Written on envelope: Tells of location of Grandpa Grahams farm also family tree.

The letter was written by Mabel Camfield Marsh and addressed Dear Sister. Written at the very top of the page is: Would you mind sending this Jan. 22, 1933 to Pearl? On closer inspection I believe that the letter was dated Jan 22, 1933 and the request to forward it on to Pearl ran into the date.
The letter doesn't appear to belong in this envelope. Mrs. D. M. Carlisle was Pearl Camfield Carlisle. Mabel and Pearl had only one other sister, Ruby Camfield, so I assume that this letter was sent to her. The letter rambles on about day to day life and mentions someone referred to as A. B. which I believe stood for Aunt Belle (Xenia Belle Graham Gallup, 1847-1933).

Also in the envelope is a genealogy. Only Page 1 is numbered and the other pages in the file appear to be out of order. There are several pages of information on various family groups.

Mixed in with the family group pages was this sheet which says, "Don't loose these sheets as page one especially is the "record" and the other pages have some information on that I had not figured out before."

For posting here the source is:
Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1929 - 1939, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan

I would like something more specific for my file. Perhaps:

Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1929 - 1939, Graham genealogy written by Mabel Camfield Marsh, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan

Should my source include information about the envelope even though the papers must have been put with it at a later date?

Suggestions welcome!

7 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Glad to see you posting again (I will get back to posting again today - I promise)!

I would also mention the fact that the letter is in your possession. footNote Maven does a great job of this when citing photographs and I see that many have begun to use similar formats:

Reynolds, Mary Irene (Brunton). Photograph. ca. 1886. Digital image. Privately held by the footnoteMaven, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Preston, Washington. 2007.

Becky Wiseman said...

Apple, I think I would include the fact that you have a digital image of the letters/photos in your possession and also the date that the digital image was created or the date the letters/photos were accessed. I would even include the file name of the image for future reference.

The software that I use, Legacy, has a feature where you can use double brackets "[[ xx ]]" (without the quotes) to enter data/info into a field or notes that won't print on reports or export with a gedcom file if you don't want it to. Its possible that other software may have the same or similar ability.

footnoteMaven said...

Apple:

This is how I would cite your information -

Marsh, Mabel Camfield. (Town/City, State Where Written) to “Dear Sister” [Ruby Camfield]. Letter. 22 January 1933. Digital Image. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1929 - 1939, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

Marsh, Mabel Camfield. (Windsor, Ontario) to “Mrs. D.M. Carlisle” [803 Main St., Buchanan, Michigan]. Envelope. 27 March 1931. Digital Image. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1929 - 1939, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

Marsh, Mabel Camfield. Graham Genealogical Notes (1-16), 1826 - ????. Digital Image. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1929 - 1939, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

If your genealogical program allows I would link all the digital images.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about what I have done let me know.

fM

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks to you all. FTM will not allow me to enter that much text as a Master Source but will allow it as citation text and seems to still format ok for reports.

I have no idea if I can link to photos but I will look into it. I have been relabeling the pictures by date and author to make them easier to find.

JEWELGIRL said...

WOW What wonderful information, it
is always great to find unknown
treasures about your family!

Elizabeth O'Neal said...

What a treasure, Apple!

BTW, what version of FTM are you using? I'm thinking of upgrading to 2008, and I'm wondering if it will allow better source documentation.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm using FTM 2005. I suppose I'll have to upgrade at some point but every time I do it seems to take forever to learn how things work. I still haven't found the short cut keys that I loved in the older version that I had.

When my ancestry subscription is up I will probably look for a bundle deal that will both upgrade and extend my subscription.