Monday, April 20, 2009

Anna Camfield Carlisle, Feb 25, 1899





POSTAL CARD - ONE CENT

Postmarked: Batavia, Mich, Feb 25, 1899

Mr Ashley Carlisle
Buchanan
Michigan

reverse

Batavia Feb 25

Ashley,

There is not much change in Mother except that she grows weaker. I cannot tell when I can come home. would be glad to know how you are all getting along. Yours,
A Carlisle

Uncle Ashley - I miss to to wipe dishes for me. Now isn't that a dreadful miss?
L.C.

For me, one of the most interesting things about the letters is that I am learning more about Ashley. Family stories portray him as a mean, miserable, S.O.B. For those stories to have been handed down there must be some truth to them however here we have Libbie joking with him about drying the dishes.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Anna Camfield (Batavia, MI) to “Ashley”
[Isaac Ashley Carlisle]. Post Card. 25 February 1899. Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, Jan – Mar 1899,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: